Proficiency in Designated Security Duties (PDSD)
Course Duration: 1 Day
£ 175 + VAT per student
The course includes tea/coffee and complimentary lunch.
The STCW Convention and Code as amended by the Manila Amendments (2010) contains new requirements regarding security training. This training is required by all personnel employed or engaged onboard ships which the International Ship and Port Facility Security (ISPS) Code applies.
The course is designed to give those seafarers with designated security duties the essential understanding and training meeting the Knowledge, Understanding and Proficiency requirements in support of Chapter XI-2 of the annex to the International Convention for the Safety of Life at Sea (SOLAS) 1974, as amended and the International Ship and Port Facility Security (ISPS) Code. This includes persons such as lookouts, maritime security operatives and access control personnel.
Candidates can now complete the PDSD qualification via distance learning, meaning the delegate only has to attend our training centre for the exam.
Upon successful completion of the course delegates will be provided with a MCA approved Proficiency in Designated Security Duties certificate.
Proficiency in Designated Security Duties (PDSD) Learning Objectives:
- Understanding the importance of ship security and the roles and responsibilities of organisations and individuals involved.
- Understanding what constitutes security risk, threat and vulnerability to a ship, its personnel, cargo and operations.
- Understand the capability and limitations of security methods, equipment and systems.
- Understand how to maintain the measures in a ship security plan and related requirements.
- The ability to maintain effective security arrangements, procedures and equipment at the three security levels, taking into account their limitations.
Candidates are assessed by examination.
Those shipboard personnel who complete a Proficiency in Designated Security Duties (PDSD) will have no requirement to complete a Proficiency in Security Awareness (PSA) as the PDSD supersedes
Upon booking individuals will receive comprehensive joining instructions and details of our recommended local hotels all of which offer a preferential rate for Colossal students.
Please contact us and a member of our team will be happy to assist you further.